Thursday 13 June 2013

Cough, Cough...a thick layer of dust.

I've had it in the back of my mind to update this blog but the reason I haven't gotten to it is the same thing that has kept me off the bike to a large extend over the last two years; A young son and a young business which are both huge time suckers.

Last year was the first year since 1985 where I didn't start a single race. Not one. And it was weird, really weird. Although I kept very busy with other things I had the phantom ache of something lost.

The business has grown up and my son is a little older now meaning I can carve out some time for myself again. It won't be the kind of time I had a few years ago but it should be enough to get reasonably fit and do a little racing.

To that end I have a short circuit race on Saturday. I am over-weight and under trained. Even though I may have dreams of jumping away in the last 200m for the win most likely I will spend my time hiding in the bunch hacking up a lung.

I just hope I don't embarrass myself...

If I can pull that off it should be enough to motivate me to train more. The good news is that at 49 yrs olde they have let me out of the Elite group (full of kids and Continental Team riders) and I should be sucking the wheels of guys much closer to my own age and ambitions. That should prove interesting.

Hopefully I'll be able to keep the rubber on the road and my lungs in my chest. That's not quite the mindset I'm used to racing with but I'm sure once the gun goes off reality will set in and I will be able to focus on my more modest goals.


No comments: