Sunday 13 April 2008

1998 Nationals

Nationals, in 1998, were in the lower mainland BC. I had a few friends that I could get there with and a teammate who was riding well.

The RR was a rolling circuit that was just right for both of us. I'd been racing Cat 1/2 all season with the occasional Vet A race thrown in. When I wanted to reg for Nationals I was told that, based on my license, I had to race Vet A. At first I was miffed but then I adapted my thinking. Instead of being pack fodder in the Senior (P/1/2) field, I'd ride for the win. I talked with my team mate and we made a deal; I'd work for him in the RR and he'd work for me in the crit. Done.

During the RR there was a break containing my teammate mid-race and I went to the front and started blocking. I was a complete dick and it didn't take long for guys to figure out what I was up to. I took a few elbows and a punch to the quad but it all went according to plan. My teammate got 3rd in the sprint and I was second in the field sprint for 8th. Not a bad day.

Then it was my turn.

The crit was held on an oval course the was high on one side and sloped down on the other. There were no corners so it was full gas all the way. I'd done the Senior (P/1/2) Provincial Championships there before so I was familiar with the rhythm of the course. The race was set up with a prime every 3 laps. There was a ton of shwag and even some cash. I spoke with my teammate and we had a plan.

As we came around and heard the bell for the first prime, I found my teammates wheel. We worked ourselves into a good position and watched the sprinters go for the prime. Then we attacked together. At first there was no reaction and we got 1/2 a lap gap pretty quickly. The course was open so we could see the group on the other side - and they could see us. Not ideal conditions.

We worked really well together and kept trading pulls. We won all the remaining primes and had a hoot divying up the loot afterwards. With 3 to go my teammate was starting to really fade. I had been taking longer and longer pulls and the group was slowing reeling us in. As we rolled through and took the bell I put my head down and was determined to pull him to the line. Half way through the lap I could see that the group was really breathing down our necks and that the rider, who had won the first prime so handily, had jumped out of the group and was motoring across to us.

My team mate said' "You'd better go." I knew he was right. I jumped away.

I have a photo of me crossing the line, jersey zipped and blowing kisses. The caption reads "1998 Vet "A" National Criterium Championship."

My teammate held on for bronze giving him two for the weekend. We were both pretty please with ourselves.

No comments: