Sunday 13 April 2008

Some backstory.

Without context, content is meaningless.

I decided to start a blog based on the modicum of encouragement I receive from regular posters on BikeForums.net. Little did they know what they would be unleashing on the world.

I've raced since the mid 80's (that's 1980's for all you kiddies) and have had a pretty checkered career. I have won 2 National Championships, (well 1 but that's another story) and had 3 major injuries which include a shattered arm(1989), a collapsed lung (1993) and, most recently spinal surgery (2005) to do what they could with the remains of 2 collapsed discs and bone spurs on the inside of my spinal column that were threatening to seriously damage the nerves in the area.

Each time I bounced back and continued racing. Last year (late 2007) with a new son, increasing demands being placed on my time by my job, and managing a team that I was hoping to eventually register as a Continental team on the Asia Tour I reached the conclusion that I just couldn't commit the time to all 3 and survive. So I retired. No racing, no coaching, no managing and very little riding.

I spent the next 6 or 7 months fascinated by my son. He is the center of the universe and nothing will change that. I got a handle on my job and even squeezed in a few rides now and then. Life was good but something wasn't right. I had this itch I just couldn't scratch.

Now, my family life and work life have settled down to a point where I can begin structured training again. I waste some of my time on a cycling forum site vicariously suffering (err...I mean racing) through others. I encourage, support, harangue and spin long winded yarns. Generally I will go on incessantly and annoy the crap out of people who want to talk about racing. So I decided that what I really needed was a blog.

I also wanted to be able to share the experience, and the data that will follow, with anyone who finds themselves in a similar situation. I'm sure you're out there. Both of you. I am hoping that those who have gone before me can offer insight and encouragement. I will be getting a new power meter soon (details to follow) and look forward to the pissing contests that will result.

If you're still reading, that should get you pretty much up to speed. Stay tuned for more riveting stuff or drop by if it's a slow day at work.